Things to do in the Breede Valley
We welcome you to join us in discovering this adventurous area and experience for yourself how unique River Edge is with its breath-taking views and silence. How to make the most of your stay and capture precious moments is up to you:
- Hike our fynbos mountain trail,
- explore the farm either trail running, mountain biking or a leisure stroll hand in hand with your favourite person,
- swim in the Breede River or dip in one of the mountain streams with the kids
- early morning birding from a kayak,
- harvest your own grapes or blueberries in season,
- taste wine at Bergsig wine estate or book a gin experience at Monks gin distillery,
- play board games with the teenagers or watch Netflix FREE WIFI,
- read the book that you never have time for,
- picnic on the river bank with a slack fishing line nearby.
- Take a sun downer cruise in an old fashion rowing boat with glass of Sauvignon Blanc/Monks gin in hand and cheese platter from the farm shop.
- Book a lovely body massage in the comfort of your cottage!
- Have a scrumptious breakfast at the coffee shop and browse for the perfect gift,
- gaze at the stars and make a wish while cuddling in the Jacuzzi
- or you could just simply relax and enjoy the exhilarating peace of this unspoilt paradise from the luxury of your cottage. This resort allows you to experience a relaxing time with your family, loved ones and/or with your friends!
Go on horseback at Horse About or go Zip sliding in Ceres. Feed the animals at Fynbos Guest Farm or taste olives at Waverley Hills. 4x4 in the snow at Matroosberg or pick cherries at Clondyke farm. You can also book tickets on the newly restored Ceres Rail Company steam train or stop at any of the farmstalls on route. (Hillbilly, The Creative Hub, Vetspens, Container and Rietdakkie)
Visit the Karoo National Dessert Botanical gardens in Worcester or take a private flight in a glider above. Have lunch at Bosjes or any of our family restaurants nearby. Taste Beer or bottle your own blend at one of our fine wine estates/cellars in either the Tulbagh, Wolseley or Breedekloof wine regions. Wysersdrif Game Breeders has lovely game drives. Enough reasons to book a few more nights!!!
Breedekloof (immediate vicinity); Worcester (30 km drive); Ceres (25 km drive); Wolseley (17 km); Tulbagh (30 km).
Where to dine….
At River Edge Accommodation Farm Shop, you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to local produce and products. Every Friday we have freshly baked bread. Ouma’s Yvette and Karina cook all our jams, preserves and atjchar when the fruit from our region are optimum ripe e.g. Apricot jam, Green Figs, Quince jelly, Peach Atjchar. Order a cheese platter prior to arrival with yummy cheese and preserves. Our specialty is our baked Cheese Cake…..delicious!! Remember our scrumptious breakfast everyday till 11. We can put you in contact with our amazing local caterer when you consider a special occasion.
You can also visit neighbouring wine estates and restaurants:
Bergsig Wine Estate & Bistro:
Our neighbouring wine estate’s Bistro is best known for its fresh salads in summer and hearty Venison Pies in winter. 023 3551603
Calabash Bush Pub and Restaurant:
Situated at the entrance of Bainskloof pass. Open 7 days a week. Great Pizzas, Burgers, Steaks etc. (2 km).023 3551 844
Opstal Wine Estate & Restaurant:
Brunch and Lunch! Jungle Gym and Kiddie menu available! Heart-warming food with a twist! 023 3443 001
Harvest Table Bistro & Winterberg Mountain Inn:
They combine fresh local produce and hearty peasant-style dishes! Open Tuesday to Sunday for breakfast and lunch. Wed, Fri and Sat evenings open for dinner. Swimming pool for the hot summer months!
The Pub also has a fireplace for cold winter days.023 231 0860
Waverley Hills Organic Wine & Olive Estate:
The new “Plaaskos Plate” on Sundays will take you back to your mother’s kitchen. They also have pizza specials every Wednesday Evening. 023 2310002
Die Eike Restaurant
Ideal for smaller children. They have farm animals and a lovely jungle gym to entertain the little ones while mom and dad enjoy wine and lunch under the oak trees - 023 3443 220
Business times: Tuesday - Thursday & Sunday 08h30 - 17h00; Friday 09h30 -Late; Saturday 08h30 -Late.
All liquor products served in the restaurant is made in the “Ou Stokery” building. Beer, wine and gin tastings available. Play area for children and delicious family favourite meals! Business times: Monday – Saturday 11 – 21:00 Sunday 11 – 15:00 082 511 0500
At Bosjes visitors can wander through the tranquil gardens and pay a visit to the famous Chapel.
Once guests have worked up an appetite, they can either enjoy a selection of cakes or savoury sandwiches at the open-air tea garden, or head to Bosjes Kombuis for lunch. Please phone and check availability for the restaurant, 023 004 0496