There are more than enough mountain bike routes on the farm and in the area to keep biking enthusiasts active. There is a well-marked route on the farm consisting of dirt roads as well as single track paths meandering through the mountain. Also see a list of routes below:
Kluitjieskraal MTB Route:
CLOSEST TOWN: Wolseley
TRAIL DESTINATION: Watervalberge
This challenging route is mainly on gravel road, with arduous climbs along loose shale and rock.
Hectic downhill hairpins mean you need to keep your wits about you, but wonderful views and a
spectacular waterfall are sure to keep you coming back for more.
On your bike
The route starts along a fairly flat section through pine plantations, before the 6km climb
to Watervalberg, with splendid views over the Wolseley Valley.
After the summit, descend into the Suurbrak Valley where you are bound to bump into baboons
and the odd buck or snake. The route through this low-lying valley is flat and fast.
Near the end of the valley, turn right to cross the Watervalberg once again. The route is marked
and the going fast, but from here it starts to get quite technical and bumpy. Cross the river
above the waterfall, then loop onto the high mountain slopes for scenic views of Tulbagh.
Stay on the contour path through the plantations along the speedy home run. Although the river
water is drinkable, it is a good idea to take enough water and food as this is a hard ride.
- GRADING: Intermediate
- DURATION: About 2–3 hours
- CONFIGURATION: Circular, 41km
- START POINT: Kluitjieskraal Forestry Station
- TERRAIN: Mainly gravel and gnarly jeep track; river crossings
- MAP: From Demars Bike Shop, Vincent Street, Wolseley
- ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:Permit from 7/11 Wolseley (023) 231 0580 / 082 835 7625
- FACILITIES: No ablution facilities, cell phone reception intermittent
- BEWARE OF: Lumber trucks
- HOW TO GET THERE: Take the N1 from Cape Town and then the R43, direction Ceres. Wolseley is approximately 120km from Cape Town.
- BEST TIME OF YEAR: A year-round destination; icy winters.
Slanghoek Cellar MTB Route:
CLOSEST TOWN: Rawsonville
TRAIL DESTINATION: Slanghoek Cellar
DISTANCE: 17km loop
The route, which starts and ends at Slanghoek Cellar, comprises a 13km ride with an optional extra 4km loop.The 13km route is suitable for beginners and the whole family, crossing streams with bridges and cycling through a camp with game! The optional extra 4km loop is more challenging and technical with some great climbs and downhill’s, for the fitter and more experienced rider.
- GRADING: Moderate
- DURATION: 1-2 Hours
- CONFIGURATION: 13km plus optional 4km more technical loop
- START POINT: Start at Slanghoek Cellar
- TERRAIN: Gravel road, jeep track and stream crossings
- MAP: Available at cellar reception
- CELL RECEPTION: Good cell phone reception
- ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: Registration for the route is compulsory and must be completed before accessing the route. Registration can be done at the cellar during office hours: Mon-Fri. 08:00 – 17:00 and 10:00 –13:00 on Saturdays. The registration fee is R20.00 per person; children less than 10 years must be accompanied by an adult
- FACILITIES: Available at the cellar, wine tasting, picnic basket by arrangement
- BEWARE OF: Snakes in the summer
- HOW TO GET THERE: The cellar is a mere 4km from the Goudini Spa holiday resort, 20km from Worcester and 90km from Cape Town.
- BEST TIME OF YEAR: All year round.